Seed Saving Saturday


Leaving seeds to dry - Geranium 'Splish Splash'

Yesterday saw me whizzing round the garden picking up the last of the seedheads I want to save before the forecast winds and heavy rain lashed them into damp submission today. The less time it takes them to dry, the sooner I can send them out. These are the seeds I'm offering to my Open Garden donors. I'll be contacting everyone involved to ask what you'd like, but you may like to peruse the list below prior to my getting in touch. You'll see that some of the seeds have been kindly donated by Threadspider and Patient Gardener and I've tried to cater for both veggie and floral preferences. On Wednesday, my SUP friends will be joining me to help make the seed packets, so quite a few people will have been involved in putting it all together :)

There's still time to grab yourself a packet of seeds simply by visiting my Open Garden and leaving a small donation if you haven't done so already. You Grow Girl has lots of information on seed saving and decorative packet making if you're interested.

The list of seeds available are:
  • Agapanthus 'Blue Peter' (see 1st picture)
  • Allium christophii
  • Althea rosea - mixed Hollyhocks (from Threadspider - see 2nd picture)
  • Barlotto 'Lingua di fuoco' - firetongue bean
  • Campanula persicifolia - mixed blue & white (from Threadspider)
  • Carex elata 'Bowles Golden' (from Patient Gardener)
  • Coriandrum sativum 'Leisure' - the leafier version of coriander (aka cilantro)
  • Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
  • Digitalis purpurea - foxglove (from Threadspider)
  • Digitalis purpurea 'Alba' - white foxglove (from Patient Gardener)
  • Eruca sativa - wild rocket
  • Foeniculum vulgare dulce - green fennel
  • Geranium 'Splish Splash'
  • Mathiasella 'Green Dream' (from Patient Gardener)
  • Nigella damascena - Love-in-a-Mist (from Threadspider)
  • Papaver somniferum - mixed poppies (from Threadspider)
  • Primula japonica - mixed (from Patient Gardener)
  • Sisyrinchium striatum (from Threadspider)
  • Viola (from Threadspider - see 3rd picture)

Comments

  1. Seeds as well, how kind! I shall peruse the list with interest.
    I love the name Splish Splash which was very appropriate for here today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again! Having perused I'm really taken by the Geranium 'Splish Splash'! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, someone could fill up a whole flowerbed with all the seeds you and your friends have collected. I will have to check out this "Splish Splash" geranium. Wish we would have a little of your rain; the ground here is so hard I can't plant some of the new perennials I've bought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you rescued them in time VP before they were blown away or drownded.You may have come across this before but another useful source of information re seed saving can be found here: http://theseedsite.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Flighty - I've put you down for a packet

    Rose - thanks for your choices

    Anna - yes I have come across that site, but strangely didn't bookmark it. Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project