GBBD: Alstroemeria


I've grown Alstroemeria aka Peruvian lily for the first time, inspired by a bunch Victoria gave me around this time last year. They lasted for weeks in the vase and helped to brighten the dull days of autumn.

In the spring I planted a bag of mixed tubers on my allotment to edge part of the big Woodblocx bed NAH installed for me last year. I'm pleased my mixed bag morphed into solely deep red flowers which are gracing my kitchen windowsill. Just four stems more than adequately fills a large vase.

They came into flower in late June and by pulling the flowering stems when needed, they've continued to flower well into November. They're such good-value plants. Sarah Raven experimented with hers and managed to extend their flowering even more, though I don't know if that exhausted her tubers in the process.

I've grown mine separately as for once I'm growing flowers for cutting. However, they'd also look quite at home in my mixed borders, so my bulb order this year sees some earmarked to grace VP Gardens.

What excitement and plans do you have in your bulb order?

Garden Bloggers Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

  1. Very pretty!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown Alstroemeria 'Dandy Candy' for almost 2 years and last year it flowered until Christmas, this year it is still in full flower with more buds. I have mine in a large pot still as I moved house and haven’t had time to get all the plants I took with me in the ground yet. That doesn’t seem to be a problem for the alstroemeria though. Next year I will get another few, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this mild weather continues, I think mine will still be flowering at Christmas Helene. That's a good tip re pots - I've seen them thriving in pots elsewhere too, so that's a great tip for people who are short of space and want to have plenty of colour :)

      Delete
  3. Your post has opened my eyes VP as I didn't realise that alstroemerias were such good doers. I've always thought of them as delicate mid-summer creatures. I could well be tempted in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria's bunch opened my eyes last year Anna, as I also thought they were a rather tender specimen with a short flowering season. It's nice to be proved wrong!

      Delete
  4. Good job, VP! What a great result from your allotment. If I were ever to have an allotment (not really likely) I’d want to grow flowers for cutting and Sarah Raven has done a great job of inspiring people there. I wonder if you’ve inspired your fellow allotmenteers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley :) Sadly they're towards the bottom of the allotment, so only my immediate neighbours see them. However, both grow quite a lot of flowers on their plots, so perhaps we inspire each other!

      Delete
  5. I've never tried growing Alstroemeria before, but these are used in many floral arrangements over here. Sounds like a great plant to grow for cutting. I cut back on my bulb order this year, but I did order quite a few Puschkina, or striped squill. I had just a few last year and thought they were so sweet, so I'm hoping for a much larger swath of them next spring. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a popular cut flower over here too Rose, and it wasn't until Victoria's gift last year that I realised they're perfect for growing for cutting here in the UK (there's a grower very close to her). I look forward to seeing your Puschkina in a spring Blooms Day!

      Delete
  6. This is a plant that I keep being tempted by that have not yet got round to buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like that for ages Sue, I'd thoroughly recommend them now :)

      Delete
  7. They look lovely. Now I know they flower well in Wiltshire, I'll look up their growing requirements and see if my garden is suitable. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim - yes they do very well in Wiltshire :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project